The challenge of this project was to relocate over 400 administrative employees from their Davis Island main campus, into an existing 2-story historic building on Kennedy Boulevard, all in less than 16 months. Six independent finance departments, the entire Information Systems Department, executive offices, and training facilities were meticulously planned to fit into the Tampa General Hospital Corporate Center. Building evaluation, programming, rezoning, space-planning, code corrections, interior design, structural repairs, demolition, reroofing, and construction activities were all completed on time for occupancy. The existing complex building, although seemingly simple from the exterior, actually consisted of an historic 1927 brick and terracotta building, with wood floors and structure, joined with an existing 1920’s gas station, and with later additions in the 1940’s and 1970’s. Extra care and effort were required to document existing conditions, and to repair and modernize existing elements.
The project included the refurbishment of existing interior brick walls, wood flooring, and exposed terracotta walls. Two new stairways, one internal and the other external at the main entrance, were added for code compliance. An existing two-story warehouse space was filled in with a new second floor, providing a total building size of 54,000 SF. The entire exterior of the building was repaired, restored and updated to a new condition, including the installation of new hurricane-resistant storefront windows, with retro-design aluminum sunscreen canopies, and a new large entrance canopy. Site improvements included a new exterior courtyard for employees, a new linear landscape park, new parking, landscaping, and an emergency generator.
Client: Tampa General Hospital
Completed by strategic partner FleischmanGarcia - click here
for more information.